Ben was best friends with Miles for their whole lives and Ben used to think he wasn't going to live up to anything, but he found Otis and took him in as his own son. Since then, he vowed to protect the other animals.
Ben was noble, confident, overprotective, strict, tough, courageous, fatherly, serious, and did not have much fun, unlike his son Otis. Because of his fun personality, Ben had a talk with Otis in the Barnyard and demanded he grow up someday since he was to eventually become the new leader.
Whenever the Farmer would go away, Ben would fill in and continue to run the Barnyard himself as its leader.
He had a friendly relationship with Miles, whom he had been best friends with since childhood.
When Ben sacrifices himself to protect the chickens from the coyotes, this proves how devoted and loyal he was to the other animals. Before he dies, he opens his mouth as if he was trying to say something, but can't say anything.
Ben was a grey steer with white spots. Despite not being a female, he had a pink snout and udders (just like Otis).
- Unlike the film, the video game doesn't show any coyotes attacking Ben in the hen house. This is probably due to the lighthearted nature of the game.
- Ben had a handmade guitar, which he would sometimes play and sing Johnny Cash's "I Won't Back Down."
- Ben was mentioned in "Big Top Barnyard."
- Ben had the largest udder on the Barnyard, but he never gave milk.
- Since it was not evident that Ben could produce milk, he wsa probably one of the steers used for meat on the Barnyard.